The visible signs of climate change are influencing the minds of our consumers; increasingly consumers are looking for sustainable products that last a life time.
At Holbein Carpentry & Joinery, we actively try to promote and employ sustainability methods as a company by:
- Providing local employment, thereby reducing carbon footprint.
- Using Irish manufactured products and sustaining local supply chains, where possible.
- Reducing our use of paper by moving towards paperless quotations and online client questionnaires.
- Moving towards more sustainable and less impactful materials.
By its nature, carpentry uses timber as its core material, which is a natural carbon sink. By using the right inputs, processes, and final outputs, less waste is guaranteed.
We promote the following products and companies:
Accoya is the world’s leading high technology wood. Created from sustainably sourced softwood; it matches or exceeds the durability, stability and beauty of the very best tropical hardwoods. Indeed, in the Cradle to Cradle® philosophy, for which it holds the prestigious Gold-level certification, Accoya wood is understood to be non-toxic and 100% biodegradable. Accoya® offers a superior level of performance to traditional softwoods, often exceeding that of even the most durable tropical hardwoods.
Accoya wood’s durability makes it very long lasting, at least: 50 years above ground. 25 years in-ground or freshwater contact.
All wood used in the Tricoya® production process is sourced from sustainable resources such as certified, reclaimed or recycled timber and is currently only produced in Ireland. Tricoya is EUTR compliant and is produced from fast-growing, well managed, legal sources. With superior durability and stability Tricoya has a considerably longer lifespan than unmodified wood products which leads to lower maintenance frequency.
MEDITE TRICOYA extreme durable MDF is a ground-breaking construction material. The panel exhibits outstanding durability and dimensional stability which allow them to be used in applications once limited to products such as concrete, plastics or metals.
THE NATIVE WOODLAND TRUST
The Native Woodland Trust is dedicated to the preservation of Ireland’s remaining ancient woodlands. They are also committed to the restoration of Ireland’s original ecosystem, through the re-creation of woodlands, using only native seeds. Furthermore, they increase native woodland bio-diversity through suitable habitat creation and fight for the preservation of every species and identifiable genotype of Ireland’s native trees.
POLLINATOR PLAN SUPPORTER
Holbein Carpentry & Joinery are delighted to be supporters of the All Ireland Pollinator Plan.
The All Ireland Pollinator Plan is an initiative aimed at reversing the decline in pollinators. It is widely used across all sectors of society, including schools, councils, businesses, local communities (including Tidy Towns).
Pollinator Plan sign up process was facilitated by Kenmare Tidy Towns and was very straightforward. By signing up we have agreed to undertake at least one action in the first year.
After a survey by the Biodiversity Officer, we realised that we already were carrying out several of the required actions:
- Pollinator friendly mowing regime, reducing the frequency of mowing, we have a beautiful clover lawn which is cut at 6 week intervals, providing food for bees
- Create a long-flowering meadow, this provides a habitat for bumble bees to nest
- Clover lawn
- Pollinator friendly container. This contains nasturtiums, calendulas, chamomiles, poached egg plant and African Daisy and is appreciated by both human and bee visitors.
- Earth-banks for solitary bees. This provides a place for mining solitary bees to lay their eggs.
A sign has been put up to highlight to visitors the company’s dedication to helping pollinators.
We hope to add to this list of actions in the near future.
Further information is available at https://pollinators.ie/businesses/
or contact Patricia at Kenmare Tidy Towns, on 087 7548477